Baby Dust Diaries

A Life Less Ordinary

My Homeschool Philosophy: Part 1

[box]
Welcome to the first edition of the Authentic Parenting Blog Carnival, hosted by Authentic Parenting and Mudpiemama!
In the month of January, we start afresh, a new year, new ideas. Hence, our participants have looked into the topic of “Birth and New Beginnings”. Take a look at the end of this post to find a list of links to the entries of the other participants.[/box]

This year my daughter turns three.  This milestone and a new year I have decided to be more intentional about homeschooling.  Not to mean I’m really homeschooling at all and research shows that early academics are bad for children.  We are just living and learning.

However, *I* am being more intentional about my homeschooling philosophy.  This helps me solidify my ideas and makes it easy (err..easiER) to explain to people what the heck I’m doing.  As Aellyn gets older and I watch her learn (while I facilitate) I want to recognize her accomplishments toward a learning goal.  In school that would be learning a certain amount of math by x age or achieving a certain test score.  What about at home?

[box type=”bio”]I don’t want my overthinking to scare anyone away from natural learning!  All of this isn’t required for your kids to learn.  Learning happens naturally.  I just like to overthink. :)[/box]

I was thinking about “subjects”.  Since I have no intention of purchasing a curriculum I won’t really be teaching (well, I won’t really be “teaching” at all) the traditional subjects.  My kids will learn to read, write, and do math but that is NOT the end goal of their education.  They are only tools on the path to their self realization of their potential.

So, what do I want them to learn?  I created this presentation to describe the formation of my curriculum or philosophy of homeschooling.  This is a work in progress and I’ll be tweaking it as time goes on.  Your comments or questions are very welcome!

This is best viewed in full screen or click here to leave BBD and view on Prezi.  This does require flash – sorry I don’t have a static version to share (yet).

[prezi id=’http://prezi.com/rq7jazofx1n2/a-homeschooling-philosophy/’ width=’600′ height=’450′]

[box type=”info”]

My Homeschool Philosophy Series

Part 1: Introduction Holistic Education

Part 2: Transfer, Transact, Transform

Part 3: Unschooling
[/box]
[box]

Visit
Authentic
Parenting
and MudpieMama
to find out how you can participate in the next Authentic
Parenting Blog Carnival!
Please
take time to read the submissions by the other carnival
participants:
(This
list will be live and updated by afternoon January 27 with all
the carnival links.)

[/box]

(Visited 72 times, 1 visits today)

11 Comments

1. Jessica G (a la KSU)

January 27, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Paige – This looks great, and very similar to Waldorf philosophies, which I love.

• Paige @ Baby Dust Diaries

January 27, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I like your "a la KSU" so I know who you are! I swear we still need to get together with the kids but I'm embarassed by HOW MUCH TIME has passed, lol! We gotta get together before the kids go to college.

2. lol! this is so funny… you really went and made a presentation of it! Love it!
    My recent post The Unassisted Birth of the Little Buddha

• Paige @ Baby Dust Diaries

January 27, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I told you I"m overly analytical! Seriously being "hands off" actually won't come easily to me so this is how I channel my energy!

3. Visiting from the AP Carnival!

When I homeschooled my older daughter (and I really did homeschool her), I printed my state's requirements and followed that. I would think that might be a good base to track progress – even if not planning to follow it for educating. FWIW, I am unschooling my 2 littles, too. They're 2yo & NEW, so I'm not too terribly intentional just yet.
    My recent post Spencer's Birth Story

• Paige @ Baby Dust Diaries

January 28, 2012 at 1:45 am

I agree about knowing the state standards. I probably won't follow them because I don't think kids need to read at 5 but they are great to check in with to verify that unschooling is working!

4. The Other Baby Book blog

January 27, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Wow! I discovered this a few nights ago (last night?!) while browsing on my iPhone and couldn't wait to see the presentation. I am so very impressed! DD is only 21 months, but I am incredibly inspired by your work and will definitely be coming back to this as a solid resource. I can't wait to hear more about how your journey progresses.

• Paige @ Baby Dust Diaries

January 28, 2012 at 1:45 am

Honestly Prezi is just such a cool tool for showing ideas visually I thought it would be an exciting change from just text! Glad you liked it!

5. Oh wow! Making the rest of us in the carnival look pretty bad! 😉 I do so love this though. Your ideas parallel a lot of the Waldorf philosophy which I personally a drawn to. My daughter turns three this March so it was insightful to hear from another mama who is at this same juncture! Loved this post/video!

6. This is amazing, Paige! I am so inspired by your philosophy, and the way you presented it really helped me to grasp what you were talking about. The intersection between the spheres of self, community, and nature in particular really stuck out to me. I had never viewed those areas in this light. I can't wait to follow along and see how your unschooling journey unfolds.
    My recent post Joy Pockets #20

7. I am in total awe of home-schooling mamas! My oldest littlie goes to a Montessori nursery on a part-time basis, but I'm intrigued by the Waldorf philosophy too ~ I'm inspired to look into it further 🙂